Friday, June 26, 2009

Good-Bye, Michael


There will probably be more Michael Jackson music played today throughout the world than any other day in history. He left a large legacy and many memories for all of us. When I taught seventh grade English in a rural Indiana school in 1972, about half the girls in my class had crushes on Donny Osmond, and the other half on Michael Jackson. Both young entertainers were 14 that year.

When "Thriller" came out, we rented the video and shared it with Bryan's dad and mom. That proved to be a mistake; they thought it was "lewd". We thought it was remarkable.

When I remember Michael Jackson, I see him as he looked before the surgeries and the strange behavior that defined him in the later parts of his mysterious, complicated life. I focus on that wonderful voice and the moon walk, and the good that Michael Jackson did in the world, as I hope the Lord will do in my case when I leave this earthly life.

1 comment:

Tierra Wakefield said...

I don't know mom, the Lord will have to overlook that time you danced on the table...or when you told us the green river murderer was going to come get us if we didn't go to bed...or that time you said Barbie had too many beers and crashed my Barbie motor home... Haha