Friday, May 1, 2009

Blue Hooded Sweater


Sometimes it's the smallest, must unassuming things that give us the most pleasure in life. For example, a couple of years ago when my daughter lost a ton (well, not that much) of weight, she brought me a big bag of cast-off clothes. Among the items 35 years too young for me was a navy blue, cable knit sweater with a hood. It zips up the front and has a couple of deep pockets. Little did I know when I pulled it out that it would become so dear to me, so essential, so necessary!

My home office is in the basement. Although it is plumbed and has furnace ducts, and the walls are studded in, it is basically a big, cold cavern. Even when I turn the heat on down there, it probably doesn't exceed 60 degrees. To achieve a comfortable 70, it would cost us $3000 to heat it for the winter. One morning I grabbed the Blue Sweater, and it's been my constant companion since. Sometimes I even wear it in the summer because my office is never warm.

As with any child's "blanky," Blue Sweater is beginning to show signs of age and wear. I pluck tiny balls of yarn off the floor and have resorted to rolling the sleeves up because of the fraying. Every time I'm close to an Old Navy, Blue Sweater's origin, I look for a replacement. I fear I will not find one that will meet its perfection. What else would afford pockets just right for my personal and business cell phones? In what will I find comfort and warmth?

I may think seriously of retirement when Blue Sweater ceases to exist.

1 comment:

Tierra Wakefield said...

I thought "Blue Sweater" was from American Eagle. That's what I remember... And I would imagine the sleeves would be very frayed since they were pretty long on me-they must be really long on you. Anyway, I'm glad I could give you something that means so much. Haha