Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kansas City! Kansas City, here I come....


It's been awhile since I took a business trip--to Atlanta last fall. Next week I'll be in Kansas City, MO, traveling on Monday and returning home on Friday. One of my good friends from work will be on the same trip, so I'm looking forward to palling around with her in the evenings. I think we're booked on the same flights, too. This is an instructional 3-day session they call "Train the Trainer." When I get back to work the following week, I'll be responsible for passing along all the tidbits of knowledge I glean during the class in Kansas City to a number of others who will teach our professional CPE in August. Based on the trickle down theory, I'd better pay attention next week.

Preparing for a trip entails a little more for me than just making sure I have clean underwear and packing my bag. I can't remember much about what it was like to go on a business trip when I had five kids at home, but the amount of preparation that is required to leave a husband is considerable. For one thing, there is a requirement that he take a dessert to work each and every day as a substitute for lunch. I'm not talking about some Little Debbie snack cakes, mind you. We're talking HOMEMADE. He likes variety, too, so that means at least two different desserts so he can alternate. Recently his group had a carry-in and he advised me that, since I have a "reputation to uphold", I'd better come up with something that measured up to their expectations. Once when I was too busy to make something and sent some left-over store-bought Cub Scout treats, he reported that everyone wanted to know what horrible thing he'd done to be in the dog house.

2 comments:

Vonney said...

Your husband sounds funny! I will be on a TDY next week too. Lucky me just has my mom watch my children, which means I don't need to worry about anything and I will come home to a clean house!

Tierra Wakefield said...

I think your computer must not be loading my page right because there is no brown background. It should be mostly blue with polka dots...